History

History of Girvan

In the middle of 17th century, Girvan was a small village with less then 200 people living in it. In 1668 Girvan was granted a charter to become a burgh and parish, with a surrounding village. The community was centred around the High Street and an old graveyard.

In the late 18th century, Girvan became a satellite village for textile manufacturers from Glasgow and Paisley. Weavers were located in the Piedmont area of the town. The population of Girvan had increased to 2000 people by this time. The main form of employment in the town was indeed weaving, though there were other roles for workers including developing the newly emerging market town for the parish.

Moving into the 19th century, Irish refugees of the potato famine of the 1840s, many of whom arrived in the West of Scotland, had increased the population of Girvan up to 8,600 by 1851.
There was a harbour now in Girvan, with a railway station built in 1824. These events were signs of the industrial revolution being brought to Girvan, with the weaving industry having now lost its prominence in the town. The presence of the railway increased Girvan’s popularity as a holiday destination, particulatly for Clydesiders.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

Comments are closed.